So the word on the street is that the Spring sports don’t get the same love that the Fall and Winter sports get. In case you hadn’t noticed, we have some pretty good things going on this Spring. There are still a few opportunities that you have to show your love to the Spring athletes and give them a “high five” for their current successes.
Our baseball team has had an incredible season. This week they broke the school record for the most wins in a season and they still have District games to play. Their current record is 20 – 5 overall and 11 – 1 in district play. This gives them the number one for the district tournament next week ensuring them a bye in the first round. Thanks to Coach and IRCS Alum, Adam Moravick, for his investment in our program and the success they have achieved. For those who are interested it appears our first District game will be at 7:30 on Wednesday, April 22 at St. Pete Catholic.
Our track team has also been very successful this Spring. Last week, the girls team got 2nd place at the District meet advancing 12 girls to the Regional competition. The boys team won the District meet and qualified 16 boys who will advance on to the Region meet that will take place at Calvary Christian High School next Thursday, April 23.
Track and field District champions are:
- High Jump – Sam Weller
- Pole Vault – Lukas Miranda
- Long Jump – Hayley Morten
- Shot Put – Autumn Frost
- 100 Meters – Jacquan Fuller
- Boys 4 x 100 – Tristan Denisac, Damian King, Jacquan Fuller, Theo Anderson
- Girls 4 X 400 – Mia Gillespie, Kristi Byun, Bobbi LaBrant, Alexis Gates
- Boys 4 x 400 – Sam Weller, Zack Trador, Joshua Guzman, Damian King
- Boys 4 x 800 – Luke Boeche, Sam Weller, Zack Trador, Joshua Guzman
School records that were set by the track team this year include:
- Girls shot put- Autumn Frost- 33’8.5”
- Girls high jump- Hayley Morten- 5’0” (tied record)
- Girls 400m- Bobbi LaBrant- 60.26
- Girls pole vault- Bobbi LaBrant- 10’7”
- Boys 100m- Jacquan Fuller
- Boys shot put- James Thorpe- 45’11”
Next Wednesday, April 22 at 4:00 pm, our softball team is playing in the Regional quarterfinal at Northside Christian. It is the first time in 6 years that they have advanced out of Districts, so congratulations for that accomplishment.