Another calendar page has turned as we look at closing out this first semester of the 2015-16 school year. Here are some upcoming events that you won’t want to miss.
The FBCIR/IRCS Christmas Program – The Gift is a professional quality Christmas program that combines the school and church talent to produce a very memorable event. If you enjoy Christmas music you won’t want to miss this. There will be two performances this Sunday, December 6 at 4:00pm and 7:00pm. There is no cost to attend. You will want to come early to get good seats as the auditorium will fill up. Last year many of you enjoyed the exploits of the Barfield family as Grandma Dixie came for a visit. This year builds on the foundation laid last year. Hear some of the great sounds of the season as well as the finale of the ever popular Drummer Boy.
Christmas Chapel – Join us for chapel on December 10th as our bands and choirs perform Christmas favorites during our normal chapel service. This special chapel will begin at 9:30 on Thursday, December 10th in the Worship Center. Everyone is welcome to attend. We have an amazing abundance of talent here at IRCS and it doesn’t get any better than when they perform Christmas music.
Final Exams – It seems hard to believe but the first semester final exams are just days away. The first final will be the 7th period exam on Tuesday, December 15 beginning at 12:55. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday will be half days for the Middle School and High School as they have two tests each day. Wednesday will begin with the 1st period exam at 8:00 followed by 2nd period at 9:44. Thursday will start with 3rd period’s exam at 8:00 and 4th period’s at 9:44. Friday, December 18 will finish the week with the 5th period exam at 8:00 and the 6th period exam at 9:44. Students will then be out of school until it resumes on January 4th.
Here are some important things to remember about final exams:
- MS exams are a “quarter” final. The idea behind them is to get students used to the format of a final exam and how to take them.
- HS exams are 20% of the first semester grade. They are averaged in with the first and second quarter grades (40% each) for the final semester grade that appears on a student’s transcript.
- Exam exemption forms will be available for students beginning Monday, December 11th. Only HS students may exempt exams. To qualify they need to have a 90% in the class, have 7 or less absences for the semester, 4 or less chapel absences for the semester, and no out of school suspensions during the current semester. Freshmen may exempt one exam, sophomores two, juniors three, and seniors all, if they qualify. Exams exemption forms must be returned to the office by 3:00pm on Wednesday, December 13th. They will not be accepted after that time and there are no exceptions to this rule.
- Teacher’s Aides still need to serve during the exam period or their grade will drop one full letter grade.
- Students that have a study hall, dual credit, or an exemption do not need to come to school during that period.
And then there’s Christmas. Without it, there would be no Indian Rocks Christian School. It is our hope and prayer that through this season we all understand the true meaning of the gift that God has given us.